Monday, August 31, 2009

57 Ford Shop Truck Update


Frank and I went to the Turlock Auto Swap Meet Sunday morning, and met Tim with a nice 59 F100. Apparently he's been putting them together for years and he had some good advice and general information for us. It's interesting, most people say I'm crazy for leaving the straight axle, but whenever I talk to the old timers they all say that if the front end is rebuilt right, the truck can run as smooth and predictable as a newer truck. That always makes me feel better for sticking to the "old school" way.

The rest of the day I spent working on Mator. We threw the bed on the back to see how she sits, low. That makes me happy. We also threw the front springs and straight axle with the spindles on to see how the front looks. The front looked a little higher then the back, but considering there was no weight on the front and her wheel/tire combo aren't of the correct size I'm ok with it right now. It's actually looking like it's going to be just about perfect.

After we looked at that we took the bed back off and I finished painting the back half of the frame. It looks real good now. Next Sunday Joe, a friend of Franks is coming over to do a tune-up on the rear differential, so that'll be nice that I won't have to worry about it once Mator is going.

It was a very busy day working with not a lot of "real" progress since everything was just thrown on. The rear differential isn't even on the truck right now. I will be ordering some parts this week and hopefully by the end of next week the front axle, springs and spindles will be on permanently, as well as the rear differential will be on and painted.

I guess we'll see next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment