Saturday, February 20, 2010

Shop Truck Update, #5




So this past weekend I blocked up the frame of the '57 Ford to my desired ride height and threw the sheet metal on to see if I'd be happy with the height. Oh yeah, I'm happy now. I've blocked up the rear tires and then I'll pull the sheetmetal off and mark up all of the important locations currently, front cab mounts, axle center line, radiator supports locations and other various spots so that when I start mocking up the Camaro front clip, I'll know where everything needs to line-up. Talking to people it sounds like the front axle is just more of an eyeball adjustment. It seems when lowering these trucks, the front wheel will look as if it sits back in the wheel well because of the angled rear in the opening. So after all is said and done, I'll probably be stretching the wheelbase by 1-2". Good to know.

Let's see, I also picked up a 351w from a guy in Turlock. The motor ran when he pulled it, but it has been sitting for a couple of years. As long as I can get a year or two out of it, I'll be happy. After I get the truck on the road, I'll start collecting parts for its rebuild, but would rather not get hit by all of it at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment